Market Feasibility- Industry Profiles & Company Information
Business Source Complete
- Provides easiest access to Marketline reports (SWOT analyses); company, industry and country profiles, newspaper articles, trade publications, and academic journal articles.
- For finding articles, possible search terms include:
- marketing planning, marketing strategy, consumer behavior, consumer attitudes, direct marketing, Internet marketing
- For company profiles, click on the "More" tab at the top, select "Company Profiles." Also do a new search with the company name and select "Company Entity" from the dropdown box.
- For industry profiles, click on "New Search" at the top left corner of page
- under "Search Options" on the right side of the page under "Publication Type" select "Industry Profile" and do a keyword search
- Both company and industry data.
- Click on the "Industry Surveys" tab at the top of page
Standard and Poor’s NetAdvantage
- Financial data (company and executive)
- gives NAICS code for companies.
- For industry reports, click on the "Industry Analysis" tab, then select one from the list of industries
- NAICS (North American Industry Classification System)
- Available in the library by the reference desk and online — know your industry’s NAICS code.
- Mergent Online
- Financial data (company and executive); gives NAICS code for companies. For industry reports, click on the "Industry Analysis" tab, then select one from the list of industries in the box.
Look up your industry code - www.census.gov/eos/www/naics/
Find statistics for your industry - http://www.census.gov/econ/isp/index.php
Find financial ratios for your industry (available at the Access Services desk, on permanent reserve)
Almanac of Business and Industrial Financial Ratios (most information for industry financial ratios): HF5681.R25 A45
Market Feasibility- Expected Growth, Current Outlook, etc.
- FRED : Economic Data
Provides user-friendly charts of economic data from government sources.
Print Reference Books:
Best Customers: Demographics of Consumer Demand
CFL Floor 2 Reference (HC79.C6 B458 2014)
Identifies top spenders by demographic category for products and services.
American Generations: Who They Are and How They Live
CFL Floor 2 Reference (HC110.C6 A675 2013)
Provides generational profiles, addressing demographics, attitudes, and more.
American FactFinder - demographic and business data by region. First use the zip code search for demographic data. Then, use the Advanced Search for industry information. Click on "Show Me All." Under "topic or table name" type in a keyword search such as "construction" and choose "industries"
Bureau of Labor Statistics - Reports on how people spend time and money (less detailed than Best Customers).
- BLS Overviews- click on "Industry", then click on "Industries at a Glance", then "Alphabetical Index"
- Consumer Spending- click on "Consumer Spending" then in first paragraph, click on "reports", then scroll down to "Reports" then click on "Consumer Expenditures in 2015 (HTML)"
- Time Use- click on "Time Use" then view latest numbers on the right side of page
Patents provide technical details for what has already been invented, enabling you to build on previous inventions, avoid patent infringement, and learn about the latest technologies.
US Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO)
Authoritative source for U.S. patents and trademarks. Search for patents, published patent applications, and trademarks.
Use the Seven- Step Strategy for searching patents from the USPTO.
Google Patents Search
Includes U.S., European and World Intellectual Property (WIPO) patents